Wednesday 15 September 2010

Bizarre little exercise for you 15th September 2010.

A little bit of fun today.

Like most modern authors, I am totally reliant on my word processor and my keyboard skills – and sometimes they can let me down.

I use autocorrect to pick up my common errors so I don’t even think about the fact I sometimes type yuo instead of you (and I had to type that twice to get it to register – autocorrect corrected the deliberate mistake).

Autocorrect, spell-check and grammar-check are integral parts of our lives as writers now, and most of the time we don’t even stop to think about them.

By the way, my autocorrect list contains about 70 items I‘ve added to cover my common errors – so don’t be ashamed to admit to the odd dozen or so – Please comment and tell me how many – as long as it’s not zero – I don’t like braggarts.

Anyway, back to the point of this blog. I had a bit of a finger “spasm” as I was typing yesterday’s blog and one particular work was seriously mangled. It was of course awarded the wavy red line and I went to retype it from scratch. By accident, I caught the right mouse button rather than the left and was surprised to see that despite the a, r and s being the only letters that were correct in the word authors, that was the only correction offered.

So the exercise for today is to find the weirdest, strangest and most impossible misspelling you can for either that word, or another of your choice of 7 letters, which still gives the correct spelling as the only choice when you right click it.

It’s harder than you think....

No comments:

Post a Comment