Tuesday 19 October 2010

NANO Update 19th October 2010.

Well, I’ve got to post a correction already! LOL.

Apparently my friend was deadly serious when she said she was going to use NANO to get the first draft of her PHD thesis written. Hey, why not, writing is writing after all, even if it isn’t actually a novel, Annette. Good luck to you.

I’ve also changed my mind – and decided to switch one of the projects I’m going to be working on. My very first published book, Seven Sisters, was always destined to be the first of a trilogy, and I completed the second book nearly two years ago. For some reason, usually other projects appearing to be more urgent means I’ve decided to work on the third book for NANO rather than my original choice project.

Before anyone states the unbecoming obvious – no I am not going to try and do three projects simultaneously. Tow is enough (well, for this year – we’ll see how I get on this year.

The problem for me wouldn’t be the actual output required – I can hit 5,000 words a day most days if I curtail other distractions, and on good days beat that enough to allow some bad days.

For me the problem would be technology leak.

Let me explain a little. My chosen project for NANO is now the third book in the Seven Sisters trilogy, which is geared to an alternative history where the Roman Empire still bestrides the world in a Ninth century Europe which is starting to use new technologies – not quite steam punk, but slightly beyond swords and sandals.

The project I’ve put to one side is my alterative history of September 1940 where the Nazi’s have overrun the Royal Air Force and are about to invade. The Royal Navy has one last desperate plan to stem the tide and Operation cormorant becomes reality when the Germans actually invade. Keeping naval and air war strategies out of a pre-medieval siege and not accidentally letting my sea captains slip into Latin and priming their catapults would be a challenge at that writing pace.

Keeping my Romans and my romantic Vampires apart won’t be easy, but it’s easier than the former.

I do have something to rant about on the publishing front – but that will have to wait till tomorrow – I’m waiting on an e-mail replay which might be an answer – or it might be a red rage to this particular bull. In any case, lock up the china, this here bull is blowing steam!

No comments:

Post a Comment